End of 3rd year in sight...

It seems like an eternity since I first embarked on the 3rd year journey. When I finished my first clerkship, I thought that the worst was behind me now that I had supposedly re-integrated back into the clinical life. Needless to say, I was sorely disappointed when I entered my surgery block and found myself starting from scratch. I didn't remember a thing about anatomy, let alone how to fix it. Things got better with pediatrics, and I finally got to see neuro and psych from the human standpoint rather than that of the mouse. (The mouse is still very intriguing, mind you!) Delivering a baby was in fact quite incredible, and now in the final weeks of ob/gyn and 3rd year, I'm making a full circle and preparing to be beaten down in the OR again.

Of course, the trail doesn't end there, nor the travails. But if there's one thing that's been drilled into me, even more than the endless need to study and be flexible, is the everlasting need to take refuge in God. No matter how "the nations rage" (Ps 2:1)--as do the attendings and residents and nurses--He keeps extending the reach of his refuge from the chaos. Each day the psalmist reminds me when I wake in the darkness, "Let all who take refuge in you rejoice; let them ever sing for joy" (Ps 5:11). Amen to that!

Comments

AisforRandom said…
I like the word play "assay the essay"

Popular Posts