On The Mark running on JavaFX 1.2--on Linux!



Hello from JavaOne! I'm sitting here at the AMD "Hang Space" debugging On The Mark while folk play video games in the space in front of me and The Office themesong resonates behind me.

The best part of JavaOne for me has been...JavaFX 1.2, now on Linux! Yes, the picture you see above is an official screenshot of OTM running on Fedora 11pre, complete with video. Best of all, the video rate controls--critical for marking up videos playing rapid events--work on Linux, however haltingly, even when they don't work yet on Windows.

Now, how do we get OTM to run on Linux? JavaFX 1.2 on Linux needs Sun Java 6u13+ to run. NetBeans ran OTM on the default Java installed--OpenJDK 1.6.0--but that didn't cut it for OTM. Video playback worked for me once I switched to Sun Java 6u14.

Interestingly, I've also displayed media successfully only on Fedora 10/11pre. Video doesn't display on Ubuntu 8.04 or 9.04 even though JavaFX 1.2 on Linux only explicitly supports Ubuntu 8.04. But thanks to Sun, I can run Fedora 11 simultaneously with Ubuntu 8.04 and 9.04 via VirtualBox, all on the same computer!

Comments

Popular Posts